Sunday, September 21, 2008

food, language, and traffic

FOOD:

i am enjoying the food i've been able to eat here in Paris. as i mentioned in an earlier post, i've had the chance to sample a variety of crepes. there are crepe shops and stands all over the city where you can get just about anything inside of them, from cheese to meats, to veg, to chocolate, to fruits. my favorite is the cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese ones. those of you who know how i love to hold things in my hands to eat (like the chicken pita at the Western Idaho State Fair & the Boise Art in the Park) can know that I am truly enjoying eating crepes! they're like a French burrito/pita/wrap thingy.

I've also been enjoying the bread. Baguettes (long bread that is used with sandwiches), croissantes (buttery flakey layered bread rolls things), and the numerous types of other breads that you can get from the bakery shops.

Oh...and the cheese! Fromage! So many kinds and oh so good! I'm a cheese lover already...and the cheese here is fantastic! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

LANGUAGE:

Okay, I don't speak French. I've never taken French. And I certainly don't have a French accent of any kind. So before making this trip I was a little concerned as to how things were going to work out here...with me not knowing the language. So with my Rick Steves French phrase book in hand and a smile on my face...I am trying to get by. And my friends who have been to Paris before are correct...if you try to speak the language the people are really friendly and will help you out. Most people do speak English...and those who don't will find someone who does. I've even had a few passerbys stop to translate for me and the person I'm trying to talk to. Very friendly. I'm actually enjoying the experience.

When leaving the hotel I'm to give the concierge my room keycard and then when I return I need to pick it up. Well, he has been testing my French by playing a game with me...he makes me ask for it in French and he won't give it to me until I get it right. I've got BONJOUR (hello) and MERCI (thankyou) down quite well...but it took me a couple of days to pronounce the #65 in French. We have had quite a good time laughing about it.

TRAFFIC:

I would never want to try to drive in Paris. Paris is a very busy city. OH MY GOODNESS! They drive so crazy! Large trucks, vans, buses, cars, tiny cars, scooters, motorcycles, bicycles and pedestrians...they all seem to think they have the right of way and they take it at anytime anywhere. It's chaos! Especially around the huge intersection roundabouts. It's almost like a free for all. And everyone drives so fast too.

Oh...okay, here's one for nostalgia sake: so in the UK they no longer have the "nee-naw" sound to their sirens...but here in Paris it is alive and well. At any given time you hear a police car or van or an ambulance "nee-nawing" through the streets. It's very European! and it's a welcomed sound to my American ears.

No comments: