Sunday, September 21, 2008

being an artist


a friend of mine asked me years ago why I had never been to Paris...and honestly I couldn't give a reasonable answer. that same friend (who has been to Paris) convinced me, that as an artist I really should come to Paris.
so this (my first trip to Paris) has been an incredible adventure of allowing myself to truly be an artist in the city of artists. it's like I'm in a dream or a movie or a book. and in a way, I guess I am...I'm writing my own story.
one of the most surreal things for me to experience here in Paris is to be able to sit and paint in a city that is so famous for artists.
so far i have painted sitting on the steps of the Arch De Triumphe, sitting in the halls of the Louvre, and sitting in the square at Notre Dame.
just about anywhere you go, you can see vendors selling prints of Paris sketches and paintings, you can see artists with their easles painting the buildings nearby, and you can see students sitting on just about anything sketching in their notebooks. even the streets and bridges are lined with artists and musicians, performers and poets having a go at entertaining the passerby.
Paris is truly a beautiful place for an artist to practice their work. I am truly blessed to be here.

No comments: